Author Archives: av415666

Stressed? Anxious? Food and Exercise Can Help

By: Lauren Zech, CSUN Dietetic Intern Cohort 2020-2021

You have probably heard the saying “mind over matter”. It basically means that if you are in the right mindset, you can overcome anything. But what happens when your mind is scrambled? What if you are swamped with assignments and have to study for exams while balancing work with your personal life. What is you have an upcoming interview that you are extremely nervous for? When you are stressed or anxious, your mind can lose its capability to think clearly and make decisions. If this occurs repeatedly, you can be left feeling down and lost. However, there may be a simple fix to this problem. The fix is so simple that you already include it in your daily routine. That’s right! Certain foods and exercise can help combat stress and anxiety. Let me explain how.  

Continue reading

Reading Nutrition Facts Labels

By: Sahar Tamari, CSUN Dietetic Intern Cohort 2020-2021

Nutrition Facts Labels on the packaging of food help us make informed decisions when we are searching for nutritious and healthy foods. Understanding how to properly read a nutrition facts label will make it easier for you to compare foods and find the foods you need to help you meet your nutritional goals. Food labels are required on all packaged foods made in the United States and those imported from other countries.1 

Continue reading

Preventing Heart Disease with Fiber

By: Erika Giroux, CSUN Dietetic Intern Cohort 2020-2021

With cardiovascular disease (CVD) being the leading cause of death in the United States, many of us are looking for ways to keep our hearts in tip-top shape.1 CVD, also known as heart disease, occurs when the blood vessels in your body harden and constrict, limiting blood flow. This can lead to a heart attack or a stoke.2 One of the best ways to keep your heart heathy is with the regular consumption of fiber. Fiber is a nutrient that is found in varying amounts in plant foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts. The recommended intake of fiber is 25 grams per day for women and 30-35 grams per day for men. However, the average American only consumes about 10-20 grams per day – not enough to make a dent in CVD numbers!3 Read on to find out how to increase your fiber consumption and improve your heart health. 

Continue reading

Cook with Preschoolers

By: Lihua Ma, CSUN Dietetic Intern Cohort 2020-2021

Family cooking can be stressful! So many parents don’t like to cook while their lovely little ones are around. However, parents might often find themselves in a situation where they have to look after their kids and do housework at the same time. When I tell people that I enjoy teaching my 3-year-old and 5-year-old daughters how to cook as I prep meals, they look at me like I have a superpower. For many caretakers, meal prep is already a tedious and overwhelming task. Knowing how your children can help and the benefits of involving children in the kitchen may give you the confidence to cook with preschoolers.

Continue reading

Calcium

By: Laura Horwitz, CSUN Dietetic Intern Cohort 2020-2021

Why does our body need calcium? Along with sodium, chloride and bicarbonate, calcium is one of the major electrolyte minerals1. It is the most prevalent mineral found in the body and is necessary to keep our body functioning.2 Our skeleton stores roughly 99% of the calcium in our body, mostly in our teeth and bones, helping to build and maintain a strong foundation. The remaining 1% is needed for various functions including regulating blood pressure, signaling nerve communication between the brain and other parts of the body, as well as muscle contractions and releasing enzymes and hormones.1,3

Continue reading